Deliklitaş Monument is located on the Harmancık road near Köprücek village, 13 km west of Tavşanlı in Kütahya province. It was built on the southeastern face of a 15 meter-high rock, just north of the road. It was found in 1836 by W. J. Hamilton but first detailed examination was done in 1861 by G. Perrot. It is a shaft monument like Maltaş, Değirmen Yeri and Bahşayiş monuments. It is the westernmost of the Phrygian rock façades and the only one located outside the Phrygian highlands. Its façade architecture is largest of all Phrygian monuments. The niche structure under the monument is similar to those of Maltaş and Midas monuments. Particularly the lower part of the niche is highly weathered and eroded. The monuments is dated to the first quarter of the 6th century BCE.
Click on the pictures for larger images.
Berndt-Ersöz, S. 2006. Phrygian RockCut Shrines. Structure, Function and Cult Practice, Leiden.
Berndt-Ersöz, S. 1998. 'Phrygian Rock-Cut Cult Façades: A Study of the Function of the So-Called Shaft Monuments', Anatolian Studies 48, 87112.
Haspels, C. H. E. 1971. The Highlands of Phrygia. Sites and monuments, Princeton.
Tüfekçi-Sivas, T. 1999. Eskişehir-Afyonkarahisar- Kütahya İl Sınırları İçindeki Phryg Kaya Anıtları, Anadolu Üniversitesi Yayınları No:1156, Eskişehir.