Kumcaboğaz Kapıkaya Monument
There were two monuments, a small façade and a stepped altar. They were located to the south of Göynüş Valley in Afyonkarahisar, about 1250 m south of the Maltaş Monument. The façade was worked on one of the low lying rocks masses spread around. There is an altar right next to it on another rock. They were discovered in 1883 by W. M. Ramsay and J. R. S. Sterrett. The entire rock of the façade was cut like a cube. The rock block of the façade was completely destroyed around 2019/2020 and not visible today. Even before the destruction, the relief in the niche in the middle of the façade was quite worn out, and the upper part of the head and body was broken. However, it could be guessed that this was a mother goddess Matar figure since the traces of her polos were still visible. It has been reported by previous researchers that there was a small niche on the back. However, the location of this niche was probably expanded by treasure hunters and there was only a large gutter left. The other rock just next to this façade is still standing and is carved in the shape of a two-stepped altar. Behind the top step, there is a base shaped protrusion. The monuments are dated to the middle of the 6th century BCE.
Click on the pictures for larger images.
Berndt-Ersöz, S. 2006. Phrygian RockCut Shrines. Structure, Function and Cult Practice, Leiden.
Tamsü, R. 2004. Phryg Kaya Altarları, (Eskişehir- Afyon-Kütahya İlleri Yüzey Araştırması Işığında), Unpublished MA thesis, Anadolu Üniversitesi, Eskişehir.
Tüfekçi-Sivas, T. 1999. Eskişehir-Afyonkarahisar- Kütahya İl Sınırları İçindeki Phryg Kaya Anıtları, Anadolu Üniversitesi Yayınları No:1156, Eskişehir.